freetds - RE: big changes, conversion fixes, and tds_willconvert

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: big changes, conversion fixes, and tds_willconvert
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 10:49:26 -0400

I can work on this tonight; I'm glad I didn't check in the .h file.

I'm afraid I'm not very clear about what's a "dblib type" and a "server
type". I grepped for defines and typedefs for "CHAR" and found:

tds.h: typedef char TDS_CHAR;
cspublic.h: typedef TDS_CHAR CS_CHAR;
sybdb.h: typedef TDS_CHAR DBCHAR ;
tds.h: #define SYBCHAR 47 /* 0x2F */

so I assumed "SYBCHAR" was the appropriate type indicator, if only because
it's the only enumerated (non-typedef) symbol in the bunch.

If you could tell me for, say, a char-to-int conversion, what types should
be passed to dbwillconvert, cs_will_convert, and tds_willconvert, I'll get
right on it. Is there a map somewhere already?

Speaking of conversions, I'd say the "freeze" has turned into more of a
rolling boil at the moment. I agree, handling the conversions properly with
proper error handling is very useful and worthwhile. I think it will be
easier to fix now, in a more-or-less controlled environment among the
"regulars" here, than it would be later, after the release.

I'm going to be unavailable after Wednesday until August 1, in case that
matters.

Regards,