freetds - RE: big changes, conversion fixes, and tds_willconvert

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: big changes, conversion fixes, and tds_willconvert
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 11:14:49 -0400

> I'm afraid I'm not very clear about what's a "dblib type" and a "server
> type". I grepped for defines and typedefs for "CHAR" and found:

Ok, I was a little fuzzy in my first post, sorry about that.
dbwillconvert() actually takes the server type of the datatype. Each API
has it's own type enums like SYBINT4 is INTBIND in dblib, CS_INT_TYPE in
ctlib, and SQL_INTEGER in ODBC. The problem comes in that dbbind() calls
dbwillconvert() with the dblib bind type, and actually I don't even think
it's your problem now that I look at it. Anyway, we need to call it with
the server type. All that needs to be done is calling
_db_get_server_type() on the variable before passing it...ignore
everything else I said, it was a misread of the docs and a late night ;-)
The fix turns out to be minor, and I'll check it in tonight.

> Speaking of conversions, I'd say the "freeze" has turned into more of a
> rolling boil at the moment. I agree, handling the conversions properly with
> proper error handling is very useful and worthwhile. I think it will be
> easier to fix now, in a more-or-less controlled environment among the
> "regulars" here, than it would be later, after the release.

freddy's dbsafestr patch is out of the mainline code, the other one is a
true bug, so I'm not too worried about those.

Then there's Bills reworking of the conversion code and our changes to
support that....well, that's another story. ;-)

> I'm going to be unavailable after Wednesday until August 1, in case that
> matters.

Vacation? If so, enjoy!

> Regards,
>
> --jkl