freetds - statically linking iconv

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: statically linking iconv
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:33:40 -0400

All,

Scratching what itches, I would like to avoid having the runtime linker load
the iconv library when using FreeTDS. I'm looking for advice for tweaking a
Makefile.am or something.

Reason is, my runtime linker insists that shared libraries may not
themselves have unresolved references. So says the documentation.

Ideally, I'd like to adjust the build so that my system's iconv (libiconv.a)
is known to the FreeTDS libraries, in the same way that libc is known.
Using "nm", I can see that fopen, for instance, is resolved, but iconv_open
is not. That's what I'd really like to change.

Failing that, I'd like to be able to run Mr. Thompson's freebcp and my
modest new column datatype reporting utility tentatively named "dbsql".
Unless libiconv is statically linked to the executable -- and I'm having a
tough time figuring out the precise incantation for that -- the runtime
linker complains that the iconv functions are not available.

I figure I may be the first, but I'm not alone. Someone else is going to
have the same technical issues I do, so it seems worth addressing.

Any advice? TIA.

--jkl

  • statically linking iconv, Lowden, James K, 06/20/2002