freetds - Re: PHP's mssql_fetch_row inserting '\0' on strings ?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Andre Costa <brblueser AT uol.com.br>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Cc: jklowden AT speakeasy.org, LowdenJK AT bernstein.com
  • Subject: Re: PHP's mssql_fetch_row inserting '\0' on strings ?
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:32:17 -0300

Hi James. Let's go for another round... ;)

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 19:48:58 -0400
"James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org> wrote:

> First of all, Andre, am I right? Does the problem go away? I'm going
> to assume "yes".

Yes, I just checked that. Sorry for not confirming it before.

> I understand your "should not need to be aware" point. If the problem
> lies in FreeTDS, I'd like to fix it. I suspect at this point that it
> has to do with the way PHP binds its variables.
>
> You might want to vote for http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=16244

Thanks for the pointer, I have just added my vote. Only two votes so far
=(

> In any case, no, I wouldn't suggest coding datatype logic into your
> generator. Changing the dataypes in the tables, or making views of them
> that convert nchars to chars would be simpler, I'd imagine.

Yes, I thought the same. However, this is not my call alone, I will have
to check if there will be no side-effects. Anyway, if it is feasible, I
will surely go after it.

> Have you seen doc/tds.html in the source tree?

Not yet. Will do now.

> But I think you're going to be dissatisfied at some point with 4.2. If
> you're defining (and need) nvarchar, the limitations of 4.2 are going to
> get in your way.

Mmmh... looks bad, I will definitely need to use nvarchar, at least for a
while (i.e. until we're able to come up with changes on the datatypes).

> I don't know how to check, except to know how your PHP was put together.
> Per our UG, http://www.freetds.org/userguide/x1076.htm did you do your
> ./configure --with-sybase
> or
> ./configure --with-iodbc=/usr/local
>
> and, if --with-sybase, did you link to the ct or db libraries?

Oh, ok. I used:

./configure --with-sybase=/usr/local/freetds

Let me know how I can help with additional info.

Best,

Andre