freetds - Re: dbdead

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: dbdead
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 17:28:33 -0400

> From: Lowden, James K [mailto:LowdenJK AT bernstein.com]
> Sent: June 14, 2002 3:28 PM
>
> $ uname -a
> OSF1 dec050.beehive.com V4.0 878 alpha

[reply to self, trying to be clearer]

I have a C program I'm trying to run on a DEC Alpha box. Using the Gnu
tools, I compiled and linked FreeTDS to my program. I'm getting complaints
from the runtime linker, loader(5). It claims to be missing 4 things:

/sbin/loader: Error: Unresolved symbol in libsybdb.so: iconv_open
/sbin/loader: Error: Unresolved symbol in libsybdb.so: iconv
/sbin/loader: Error: Unresolved symbol in libsybdb.so: vsnprintf
/sbin/loader: Error: Unresolved symbol in libsybdb.so: iconv_close
/sbin/loader: Fatal Error: this executable has unresolvable symbols

iconv is indeed installed on my machine, on a normal loader(5) path,
/usr/shlib.

I have no manpage for "vsnprintf" here, so I guess no binary either, but its
only use in dblib is to support dbfcmd, which shouldn't be too hard to work
around. (We do have OSF users, yes? I should patch the code for them,
too?)

I don't think I want to be in the business of replacing/overriding this
box's system-provided iconv. That seems silly. I'm baffled as to why the
runtime linker would complain about its own library gone missing.

One curious fact about loader(5) on this machine: its behavior is controlled
by an environment variable _RLD_ARGS, one part of which can be the switch
"-interact", which is supposed to cause loader to prompt me for the location
of anything it can't find. I used _RLD_ARGS to make loader do all sorts of
things, but the "-interact" flag never yielded up a prompt. I have to
believe that loader found /usr/shlib/libiconv.so but not the symbols. But
why?

I don't know whether I've got a problem in FreeTDS's configuration, or
Gnu/OSF interaction, or something in my local setup. If someone's got a
guess, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thank you.

--jkl

  • dbdead, Lowden, James K, 06/14/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: dbdead, Brian Bruns, 06/14/2002
    • Re: dbdead, Lowden, James K, 06/14/2002
    • Re: dbdead, Lowden, James K, 06/14/2002
    • Re: dbdead, Lowden, James K, 06/14/2002
    • Re: dbdead, Brian Bruns, 06/15/2002
    • Re: dbdead, James K . Lowden, 06/15/2002