freetds - Re: 2000 && 4.2?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 2000 && 4.2?
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 17:22:24 -0400

Why would db-lib apps work? I thought it was a TDS issue. Possibly having
to do with dropping ascii support at the protocol level (in favor of UCS-2).

> > FreeTDS is a possibility, but its bcp logic would have to
> be amplified to
> > include host variable and transaction support. If you
> think it's really
> > the best answer, though, that's information, too.
>
> Well - bcp is not transactional (or at least not really), and doesn't
> support host variables (at least not if I understand what you mean by
> that).

I see. You're saying bcp is "not transactional" because the data don't hit
the tranlog, so there's no rollback/rollforward and such for recovery and
backup. I should have said "bcp has to support batches".

Right now, FreeTDS writes the whole file as one batch. If there's a glitch
in the data, the batch is not committed, and in fact "sp_who" will show the
spid's status as "rollback". In such a case, process will remained blocked
for an inordinately long time, much longer than it took to upload the rows.
So, we need bcp batch support. :)

By "host variables", I mean feeding the bcp API with bound memory variables,
rather than from a file. You know, bcp_bind, bcp_sendrow, and friends.

Thanks for the reply, Michael. Your name came up, you won't be surprised to
hear.