freetds - Re: 2000 && 4.2?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler AT peppler.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 2000 && 4.2?
  • Date: 21 May 2002 13:59:04 -0700

On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 13:45, Lowden, James K wrote:

> After some questioning, I think the speaker meant that Sybase's ct-lib can't
> connect to 2000. The assertion is that MS SQL Server 2000 has no support
> for 4.2 (or, of course 5.0) connections. Is that in fact true? Can
> Sybase's Solaris ct-lib client connect to MS SQL Server 2000, or not?

AFAIK this is correct. However, DBlib apps may still work.

> We currently use Sybperl, DBD::Sybase, and some home-grown C programs, all
> linked to Sybase ct-lib, to connect to our Sybase and SQL Server 7.0
> servers. It works OK if we avoid some things, like decimal/numeric
> datatypes.
>
> We are testing something called DirectConnect, which by rights should be
> called IndirectConnect. It's an OpenServer gateway that runs on NT, I'm
> told. It lacks bcp support, without which it's about as useful to me as
> day-old bread.

Open Server understands bulk copy requests, so theoretically
DirectConnect could be made to understand bcp logic, assuming that the
back-end (i.e. SQL Server) will accept API/TDS bcp calls (and that
Sybase wants to spend the time/money to add this functionality)

> FreeTDS is a possibility, but its bcp logic would have to be amplified to
> include host variable and transaction support. If you think it's really
> the best answer, though, that's information, too.

Well - bcp is not transactional (or at least not really), and doesn't
support host variables (at least not if I understand what you mean by
that).

It's really just a way of loading rows in non-logged (or minimally
logged) mode, with batch commits. To work correctly this needs to be
supported at the TDS level - otherwise it's just a normal insert
request.

Michael
--
Michael Peppler Data Migrations, Inc.
mpeppler AT peppler.org *or* mpeppler AT mbay.net