freetds - default textsize

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: default textsize
  • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 15:16:55 -0500

All,

I stumbled on something in the SQL Server 7.0 documentation about the
default textsize:

[snip]
SET Statement

When an ODBC application connects to Microsoft® SQL Server(tm), the server
automatically sets these options for the session:

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
SET TEXTSIZE 2147483647
SET ANSI_DEFAULTS ON
SET CURSOR_CLOSE_ON_COMMIT OFF
SET IMPLICIT_TRANSACTIONS OFF
[end snip]

It's in the section on trigger programming. The full page:

http://www.schemamania.org/jkl/booksonline/SQLBOL70/html/8_des_08_3.htm

I really don't know what is meant by "When an ODBC application connects ...
the server automatically sets...." It's my belief the server doesn't know
which client API is in use. If that's accurate, then the server can't
automatically set anything. OTOH, if somehow API information is leaking up
to the server, that might account for some of our mysterious
segfault-due-to-textsize issues.

Anyone know anything else on this score?