freetds - Re: Draft Build from CVS Instructions

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James Cameron <cameron AT stl.dec.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Draft Build from CVS Instructions
  • Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:11:02 +1100

Brian Bruns wrote:
> Looks great, and will be important as we start to remove generated
> files from CVS...Anyone want to come up with a list of those files?

'make maintainer-clean' gives a few hints ...

rm -f Makefile tdsver.h tds.h
rm -f config.cache config.log stamp-h stamp-h[0-9]*
rm -f libtool
rm -f tds_configs.h

If you find any file that should be gone that *isn't* removed by the
'maintainer-clean' target, then this could be a problem. Exception is
the configure file, as per GNU standards. [1]

If you decide to proceed with this removal of generated files, they
should be added to the .cvsignore file in each directory. This is so
that a 'cvs update' clearly highlights files that are new in a
developer's local directory. This helps in a few ways;

- developer notices files they may have failed to add into CVS,
- developer notices temporary test files they have not yet cleaned up,
- developer is not hindered by unnecessary concern over generated files.