freetds - Re: Freetds + PHP - It finally works!

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Freetds + PHP - It finally works!
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:36:54 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Bob Kline wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Vladimir wrote:
>
> > 2 steps, wich may cause problems in build process.
> > 1. CVS version don't want to make with Solaris native make. Previous
> > versions makes. I must to install GNU make and use it.
>
> This requirement is well-documented.
>
> > 2. Ltconfig comlained about incorrect version. I muct
> > set LTCONFIG_VERSION='1.3.3' end export it before running gmake.
>
> Yes, this is a more recent development. It's surprising that the same
> folks who can get low-level code working properly to communicate with a
> complex on-the-wire protocol with a DBMS have difficulty figuring out
> how to make these much higher-level tools work. I confess I'm one of
> them. I don't have a clue about autoconf, and my eyes glaze over when
> discussions, which I can only assume are highly sophisticated
> explanations of why it's a Good Thing that the build process should
> assume a specific version of a tool, start scrolling by. :->}

It's kinda like when I have to go fetch the admin assistant to show me how
to use the fax machine. ;-)

Seriously though, my local tool chain is now at libtool 1.4 (redhat 7.2
upgrade), so I'm suspecting some involvement there. Autoconf is a highly
complex system with a lot of hidden dependancies, sometimes I think its
more trouble than it's worth, but then I don't really want to figure out
how to build shared libraries on HP/UX either!

Brian