freetds - Re: stability

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: James Cameron <cameron AT stl.dec.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: stability
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:32:34 +1100

Rick Gigger wrote:
> Am I the only one experiencing problems like this?

No, I've seen similar problems lately. Since fixed in CVS.

PHP with Apache? Persistent database connections? Sounds like the
FreeTDS connection is entering a broken state, and once it does then
that particular Apache process is infected, and it will give problems
whenever a connection arrives for it. It only *looks* random and
unreliable, when in fact it is quite broken. PHP believes the database
connection is up, but FreeTDS believes it is down.

See if the problem goes away with a close and re-open of the database
connection. Add a temporary test that will verify the connection is
stable (e.g. select @@version) and if it fails then close and re-open.
See if you can trace the query sequence made to FreeTDS that causes the
connection to break. Once you can do that, we can fix it readily.

It will take a bit of work, but that's exactly the work that our
developers of PHP and FreeTDS have to go through to reproduce and fix
the problem.

--
James Cameron (cameron AT stl.dec.com)

Not the Director of Titanic, but he had his name before I did.