freetds - Re: stability

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Rick Gigger" <Rick AT alpinenetworking.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: stability
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 22:32:01 -0700

sure,

I am using php and certain things seem to cause problems.

While using freetds to set up custom session handlers I have encountered
bizzare random problems. I will get random "1 is not a sybase index"
errors. I will refresh the page over and over and the error will come
and go. This has happened to me multiple times on multiple projects.

When a large number of connections was made to the database I would get
more random errors. If a lot of people hit the site there would be more
and more connections made to the database. More random errors.

Often if there is a sql error commited something gets messed up and
freetds begins behaving erratically. For instance I make a bad sql
query during developement. Then I fix the query. I get random errors
that all of a sudden go away when I restart the web server. These
errors may not be sybase reporting errros but just blatently incorrect
datasets. Like it supposed to return 10,000 rows on a simple query but
instead returned none. No error thrown, just an emtpy result set.

I didn't have nearly so many problems (although there were a few issues)
with freetds 0.52. But then I was using protocol v4.2. Unfortunately I
am highly reliant on the ability to access varchar fields > 256 bytes
long.

Am I the only one experiencing problems like this?

Rick