freetds - Re: changing port (again)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Darryl Friesen" <Darryl.Friesen AT usask.ca>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: changing port (again)
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:36:31 -0600

One more thought, although a definite shot in the dark.

>I'm using PHP:
>
>mssql_connect ("serverx","usersql","passwd") or die ("No... sorry\n")
>
>serverx is defined in /etc/hosts (responds to pings, and telnet to 7433)

It doesn't actually need to be. serverx is just an alias, and can be
anything. It doesn't have to map to a real hostname on your network. The
names in the interface file can be whatever you like, and you should be able
to change them at will, without modifying your hosts file, or any other IP
registrations.

>in interfaces I have:
>
>serverx
>query tcp tds4.2 smalldog 7433

smalldog is the "real" name of the machine, and must resolve to a valid name
on your network. Am I right in assuming that's not the problem (since you
said this worked before)?

For comparasin, my interfaces file looks like this:

bedrock
query tcp ether 128.233.74.244 1433

Does it make a difference if you change the TDS version from 4.2 to 7.0?
i.e.

query tcp 7.0 smalldog 7433

- Darryl

Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst Darryl.Friesen AT usask.ca
Education & Research Technology Services, http://gollum.usask.ca/
Information Technology Services Division,
University of Saskatchewan
"Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes"