freetds - Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol confusion. Got a 0x79 packe

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Mark Lontsman" <mark.lontsman AT longbow.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: java.sql.SQLException: Protocol confusion. Got a 0x79 packe
  • Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:40:07 -0400

Hell Curt,

Well I dont' really know what the differences between freetds and
sourceforge releases of jdbc driver are. I never really tried sourceforge
one, but now that I've started experiencing problems with freetds one, I
probably will :)

To answer your second question, the problems that I had with freetds driver
on linux is that any time I would try to create a new connection, it would
throw NullPointer Exception. After going through source code of the driver,
I realized that it recognized jdbc version as 1.0 while it expected 2.0, and
it turned out that one of the objects it was trying to use was left as null.
I have jdk1.3 installed on linux, which comes with jdbc2.0, all the paths
are set properly. Just to be safe I also loaded optional jdbc2.0 package
that I got from sun's site and pointed classpath to that.

To make a long story short, I had to recompile a few classes and it finally
worked.

Having said all that, it still doesn't work since it seems to be giving out
the error I mentioned before any time I do database updates.. and without
that, the driver is useless to me.

Sorry if my answer was a bit chaotic, I'm new to freetds myself.

Mark