freetds - Re: Sybase SQL Anywhere

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Ian Harding" <ianh AT tpchd.org>
  • To: <camber AT ais.org>, <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sybase SQL Anywhere
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 10:19:58 -0700

Well, I have this up and working, with the unlikely combination of NetBSD
1.5, AOLServer with the nsfreetds module, and on the database side, Sybase
SQL Anywhere 5.5.05, Open Server Gateway on an NT 4 server. We will try it
on the Novell 5 server tonight.

The only problem is that I can't get it to return error codes. The query
executes without complaint, with the rows affected being the only clue it did
not work. I know errors are being generated by the database, they are just
not making it back to the app.

Any ideas?

Ian A. Harding
Programmer/Analyst II
Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department
(253) 798-3549
mailto: ianh AT tpchd.org

>>> camber AT ais.org 07/05/01 02:30PM >>>
Yes, but what you have to do depends on the version you run.

Specifically you must run 5.0.03 or higher. If running version 5.x you
must run the "OpenServer Gateway" on the Novell server (it comes with
SQL Any). Somewhere after 5.x (version 6.0 i think but definately
by version 7) Sybase made TDS support native, so this is not necessary.

In any event you must use TDS version 5.0, I have been unable to get 4.2
to work (I don't know if 4.2 is intended to work or not).

jkl, can we get this Q added to the FAQ?

Brian

On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Ian Harding wrote:

> I have been using freetds with AOLServer successfully against MSSQL Server
> 7.0. Howerver, I now need to connect to a Sybase SQL Anywhere database
> and can't seem to make it work. I am running NetBSD 1.5 and the SQL
> Anywhere datbase is on a Novell server. The windows clients that are
> connecting to the database via odbc are using
>
> "C:\program files\sqlany50\win32\dbclient.exe" envision -x
> tcpip{host=192.168.100.1}
>
> as a connect string where 'envision' is the name of the database.
>
> Is it possible to connect to SQL Anywhere using freetds?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ian

---
You are currently subscribed to freetds as: [ianh AT tpchd.org]
To unsubscribe, forward this message to
leave-freetds-132781U AT franklin.oit.unc.edu