freetds - Re: Draft 0.52 announcement

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler AT peppler.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Draft 0.52 announcement
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 13:32:33 -0700

Brian Bruns writes:
> Michael,
>
> I've managed to get your example up and running and have a log of the
> activity under 5.0, now I'm working on the implementation.

Cool!

> I'm currently considering the possibility of a client side implementation
> for non-TDS 5.0 users. Your example explicitly describes the input to the
> query, does DBD::Sybase do the same or does it rely on the feedback of
> ct_describe() to get type information?

DBD::Sybase relies on ct_describe() information from the
CS_DESCRIBE_INPUT request.

> Anyone know what happens with databases lacking placeholder support? Is it
> just not allowed under DBI or is there a work around?

I've added placeholder support for stored proc calls, so that
something like this:

$sth = $dbh->prepare("exec some_proc ?, ?, ?");
$sth->execute('one', 2, 'three');

will actually use a CS_RPC_CMD request instead of a normal language
request to the next release of DBD::Sybase. In this case it gets
really tricky to ask Sybase to give us the types of the parameters, so
I don't bother, and default to CS_CHAR_TYPE, unless the user pases in
a "type" parameter (which they can do, but which DBD::Sybase ignores
for normal placeholder prepares).

HTH...

Michael

> On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Michael Peppler wrote:
>
> > Brian Bruns writes:
> > >
> > > Of course, someone really interested in pushing placeholder support
> > > forward could send me small standalone C programs that demonstrate the
> > > usage in ctlib and/or ODBC and I'll see that it gets done. ;-)
> >
> > Here's a minimal C snippet that I used to report a bug to Sybase...
> >
> > Michael
> >

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to freetds as: [mpeppler AT peppler.org]

mpeppler AT peppler.org - mpeppler AT mbay.net

  • Re: Draft 0.52 announcement, Brian Bruns, 07/06/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Draft 0.52 announcement, Michael Peppler, 07/06/2001