freetds - 26 CPU's all maxed out

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: 26 CPU's all maxed out
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 18:58:40 +0000

Norman Palardy wrote:

> Us too. E6500 with 26 CPU's and their all maxed out
>
> So once a month we take an outage, kick everyone off the system and rebuild

> as much of the stats on these tables as we can. We're lucky if we get one or
> two tables finished over a weekend.

Norman,

I don't have a solution or an answer, but I have a reaction. In a word:
Ouchiwawa.

I'm sure you run a hot backup on something like that. Too bad you can't
update the
statistics on the backup box and export them back to the production one. Too
bad you
can't do your own sampling and punch in your own stats.

I wonder how small Sybase's market share has to get before they recognize the
benefits of opening up some of their system. Quite a bit, I'm sure. Remember
Informix?

Oh, you might have noticed I'm issuing personal invitations to people to tell
their
story for the web site's "case studies". Please consider this one. :-)

Best,