freetds - Re: 26 CPU's all maxed out

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Norman Palardy <norm AT kirais.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: 26 CPU's all maxed out
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 20:38:31 -0600

> Norman,
>
> I don't have a solution or an answer, but I have a reaction. In a word:
> Ouchiwawa.

Those are usually the words we hear our user community screaming ;-)

> I'm sure you run a hot backup on something like that. Too bad you can't
> update the
> statistics on the backup box and export them back to the production one.
> Too
> bad you
> can't do your own sampling and punch in your own stats.
Now that would be killer. Sort of like dbccdb but for stats would be nice.

We're making some headway with Sybase and our own DBA team in trying to deal
with the situation but it's hard because it will run fine for a while then
suddenly go off the deep end and table scan everything with no real
significant changes.

We've also been trying to move up to Sybase 12 and have run into some issues
with replication to our warm standby.

It has been an adventure.

And this is not our largest database.

That distinction in our shop is a Scada database, again on Sybase, that gets
something like an additional 200,000 rows an hour and holds about 2 months
worth of data (row counts I cant guess at in total)

It screams.

> I wonder how small Sybase's market share has to get before they recognize
> the
> benefits of opening up some of their system. Quite a bit, I'm sure.
> Remember
> Informix?

Not sure, but with the product that is sitting on the database Oracle has
come up a number of times. Seems that only clients of this vendor on Sybase
experience performance bottlenecks like this.

So, since we also use Oracle it's not a huge leap to move to that platform
for us or our vendor

> Oh, you might have noticed I'm issuing personal invitations to people to
> tell
> their
> story for the web site's "case studies". Please consider this one. :-)

Wish this was just our web site. They seem to be willing to spend time and
money on that.