freetds - Re: Using stored procs

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Norman Palardy <norm AT kirais.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Using stored procs
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:28:34 -0600

> Index statistics can *really* screw you up if your data changes
> significantly.

one of the things I have constantly asked our Sybase reps is why stats are
not maintained dynamically like they are in MS SQL Server. It would help to
avoid problems based on old stats.

Part of our problem is if we runs update stats it takes 60 hours to update
all of them.

> The script is chugging along, and suddenly the server (a Sun E4500
> with 10 Sybase engines running) is running at *full* load - why?
> because some of the queries in some procs have started to table scan
> due to index skew...

Us too. E6500 with 26 CPU's and their all maxed out

So once a month we take an outage, kick everyone off the system and rebuild
as much of the stats on these tables as we can. We're lucky if we get one or
two tables finished over a weekend.

  • Re: Using stored procs, Norman Palardy, 06/20/2001