freetds - Re: Domain Logins and 0.52 tasks

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Eric Deutsch <edeutsch AT systemsbiology.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Domain Logins and 0.52 tasks
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:42:39 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, I just grabbed the latest distribution from CVS and checked to see how
it performed against my hacked version of 0.51 release. I have the
following comments, a few of which may be relevant for the 0.52 release:

(using Red Hat 7.0 + Perl 5.6.0 + DBD::Sybase 0.91 + FreeTDS 0.52CVS
to talk to MS SQL Server 2000)

1) freetds.conf works very nicely, I like it. One possible snag:
freetds.conf.pl appears to be identical to README.freetds.conf.pl instead
of a perl script. Might be just TODO or possibly CVS checkin issue.

2) Under both TDS 4.2 and 7.0, the final character of a datatype TEXT
field is truncated. Last-digit truncation has a long history here, but I
think this is a new problem. I was able to fix it with the following
patch:
*** convert.c:orig Mon Mar 19 16:20:37 2001
--- convert.c Fri Jun 15 16:46:51 2001
***************
*** 98,102 ****
cplen = srclen > destlen ? destlen : srclen;
memcpy(dest, src, cplen);
! dest[cplen-1] = '\0';
return strlen(dest);
case SYBCHAR:
--- 98,103 ----
cplen = srclen > destlen ? destlen : srclen;
memcpy(dest, src, cplen);
! /* 2001-06-15 Deutsch changed [cplen-1] to [cplen] */
! dest[cplen] = '\0';
return strlen(dest);
case SYBCHAR:

The line in question appears to be new since 0.51. This looks like a bug
that needs to be fixed, but maybe this breaks some other client+server
combination?

3) I had to make my usual hack to get TEXT results to work at all under
TDS 7.0 without getting the memory errors (not a problem under 4.2):

diff ct.c:orig ct.c
755a756,762

> /* FIX ME Deutsch hack */
> if (datafmt->maxlength > 100000) {
> datafmt->maxlength=100000;
> tdsdump_log("%L inside ct_describe() datafmt->maxlength = %d
after articial limiting\n", datafmt->maxlength);
> }

I see you have this under "Maybe". Fair enough, I can live with this hack
for now. FWIW, when I do "SELECT @@TEXTSIZE" under SQL 2000, I get 64512
as a default.

4) I'd like to see a settable date format in freetds.conf, something like:

dataformat = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"
that gets used in convert.c, again not critical for 0.52 release, but it
would be nice.

5) While I'm tossing out features that would be nice: I miss the
ability to bind variables to a prepared statement. DBD::Sybase supports
it, but FreeTDS doesn't yet. I don't have the expertise to do it, sadly.
Obviously, this is not a 0.52 item, but maybe sometime soon?

That's my $0.01 on issues and desired features.
Otherwise, FreeTDS is great, I use it every day!

thanks,
Eric

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Brian Bruns wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Well tonight I sat down to plow through the domain login stuff and got
> greeted with the unfortunate message "Login failed for user
> '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection."
>
> I'm still struggling with the exact meaning of this. I was expecting to
> get a challenge sequence back. I'm guessing that the self reported client
> host name is checked against existing connections and the challenge is
> issued if it's ok. second possibility is one of the magic numbers contains
> an identifier of some sort, but I tend to doubt that since they are not in
> the right portion of the packet for it.
>
> In any event domain auth looks unlikely to come together prior to 0.52, so
> I'm going to push ahead with the release. Here is the current tasks.
>
> Prior to 0.52:
>
> 1. Verify freetds.conf changes are working
> 2. Get the convert program for interfaces -> freetds.conf checked in
> 3. Release notes should detail how to run convert program
> 4. Get RPM builds ready to go
> 5. User Guide updated and checked in
> 6. Check in ODBC fixes
>
> Maybe:
>
> 1. Maximum textsize option in TDS 7.0
>
> Post 0.52: (not necessarily in order)
>
> 1. TDS 7 on big endian platforms
> 2. Domain logins
> 3. Unicode conversion stuff
> 4. TDS 8.0 support
> 5. TDS connection pooling stuff needs more work (tds != 4.2 support,
> remove hard coded values, et al.)
> 6. tdsping program for testing purposes (jkl's idea)
>

> Anyone got others?
>
> Brian
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to freetds as: [edeutsch AT systemsbiology.org]

Eric Deutsch email: edeutsch AT systemsbiology.org
Institute for Systems Biology Voice: (206) 732-1397
4225 Roosevelt Way NE, Suite 200 FAX: (206) 732-1260
Seattle, WA 98105-6099 TJ's Location
http://www.systemsbiology.org/