freetds - Re: How to read Strings bigger than 255 chars

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: How to read Strings bigger than 255 chars
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 00:33:25 +0000

Darryl Friesen wrote:

> >> I grabbed the freetds.snapshot.tgz from the web site and installed
> >> it. Now when I execute the query, my Apache error_log is full of
> >> stuff like:
> >>
> >> Unknown marker: 116!!
> >> Unknown marker: 97!!
> >
> > That looks like you're not running the right TDS version
> >
> > export TDSVER=70
> >
> > and I bet you'll be OK.
>
> Thanks for the pointer James. I double checked. It was properly set to 70
> and I still get the above. Changing it to 42 makes the problem go away (but
> then I get the string truncation problems back).
>
> Any other thoughts?

No, but I can flail around in the dark with the best of them! I didn't write
the
code, you see.

IIRC, you're running a linux apache client against an NT MS 7. That's a known
working combination.

Those error messages are prototypical TDS version errors. The fact that it
works
(ish) under 4.2 makes me suspicious, too.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try again:
1. --with-tdsver=7.0
2. set your interfaces file field to 7.0 (or 'ether'), per Brian's message
today.
3. set the TDSVER=70 (as you've obviously already done).

I think you might have set ./configure to 4.2, thereby disabling 7.0
features. I'm
talking out of school, here, and I might be misremembering what I saw when
last
I looked at the code, but I might as well let you know where I'm coming from.

Besides, if I got it wrong, you'll see corrections posted here pretty soon! :)

Let us know....