freetds - Re: How to read Strings bigger than 255 chars

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Peter Deacon <peterd AT iea-software.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: How to read Strings bigger than 255 chars
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 15:29:00 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001, Darryl Friesen wrote:

> > I seem to recognize this one... I think MS returns the maximum
> > possible size of the object, instead of the actual size, and I use
> > the size value to allocate memory for the object in ct_bind() (which
> > of course fails in your case).

> Man, is that ever dumb (on Microsoft's part, not yours). Makes things just
> a bit less than useful, doesn't it?

If I understand this thread right when getting column information the
maxsize field should contain the maximum possible size of that datatype.
It's not known in advance how large every row in the result set or the
largest row per column will be returned.

> My next step, unless anyone has any wonderful suggestions (please, please)
> is to implement Eric Deutsch's patch/hack to FreeTDS to malloc something
> less than 2GB and hope I choose a value big enough. :)

MSSQL and Sybase, provide a way to seek to specific locations in a
text field and download ranges of data at a time.

Have Fun!
Peter