freetds - Re: How to read Strings bigger than 255 chars

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Darryl Friesen" <Darryl.Friesen AT usask.ca>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: How to read Strings bigger than 255 chars
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 16:10:24 -0600

> I seem to recognize this one... I think MS returns the maximum
> possible size of the object, instead of the actual size, and I use
> the size value to allocate memory for the object in ct_bind() (which
> of course fails in your case).

Man, is that ever dumb (on Microsoft's part, not yours). Makes things just
a bit less than useful, doesn't it?

My next step, unless anyone has any wonderful suggestions (please, please)
is to implement Eric Deutsch's patch/hack to FreeTDS to malloc something
less than 2GB and hope I choose a value big enough. :)

Thanks to everyone. It's a nice change of pace to find a list where
problems are discussed openly without finger pointing, and where the
developer's respond quickly and provide real suggestions and help.

- Darryl

Darryl Friesen, B.Sc., Programmer/Analyst Darryl.Friesen AT usask.ca
Education & Research Technology Services, http://gollum.usask.ca/
Department of Computing Services,
University of Saskatchewan
"Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes"