freetds - Re: Error connect: can't assign requested address on DGUX

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT speakeasy.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Error connect: can't assign requested address on DGUX
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 22:37:18 +0000

Kelly Sauke wrote:

> I'm getting the error above everytime I try to connect to anything using
> freetds. I get this error through sqsh as well as through perl. I've poked
> through the archives and one suggestion was to put the hostname in my
> /etc/hosts file..that didn't work. I still get the error. I've tried using
> the ip address on the sqsh command line and that doesn't seem to work
> either. I compiled freetds and sqsh on Linux for testing and everything
> works fine there, so I know the server (MS-SQL 7.0) is responding. I've
> double checked my $SYBASE variable and my interfaces file and they all look
> right.

Kelly,

I don't know if I can help, but your message is so thorough I want to try.
Let me
see if I've got the picture:

1. Your MS-SQL 7.0 is running; your Linux box connects to it.
2. $SYBASE points to interfaces.
3. Sqsh squeaks. :(

It smells like a configuration problem. I suppose (ignorantly) it could be
architectural, but if I really thought so, there'd be no point in me writing.

Assumptions:
1. FreeTDS 5.1.
2. The contents of your DGUX::interfaces matches your Linux::interfaces.
3. ping and telnet can see the server (by name) from DGUX.
4. The two boxes are on the same network and use the same DNS.

If the above assumptions are true, we can eliminate the network and focus on
the box.

What about $TDSVER? If it's not set, FreeTDS will default to 5.0, which will
*not*
work with MS SQL 7.0.

You could also try substituting the host's IP address for its name in
interfaces,
thus:

Before:
servername
query tcp ether hostname 4000

After:
servername
query tcp ether 10.10.10.1 4000

Sorry if that was obvious. That worked for someone recently; it's not clear
to me
why.

> I've tried using
> the ip address on the sqsh command line and that doesn't seem to work
> either.

And it won't. The -S parameter is the servername in your interfaces file,
not its
IP address or hostname. The -H parameter (the so-called "hostname",
unfortunately)
is the name your DGUX box will represent itself as to SQL Server.

Nothing else occurs to me. I sure hope I uncovered at least one avenue for
you.
Good luck.