freetds - Re: more info!! connect errors ... 255.255.255

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Dmitry Petrov" <freetds AT acorn.ru>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: more info!! connect errors ... 255.255.255
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 14:30:30 -0400

Hello,

I had exactly same problem with the connection.

[At least in my case] the problem has nothing to do with DNS or netmasks.

It is just that if FreeTDS 0.51 does NOT find the interfaces file, it
still return success and wrong IP is being used to establish connection.

I have Apache+PHP 4.0.5+FreeTDS, and I found that somehow PHP does not set
an interface file at all (this is probably unrelated issue).

In any case, if your interfaces file is not defined or you specified wrong
location (or it can't be accessed), FreeTDS tries to look for it in some
other places ($HOME/.interfaces or /etc/freetds/interfaces). If it does
not find interfaces there, it still returns TRUE from get_server_info(),
most likely because of this call:

lookup_host(tmp_ip, tmp_port, ip_addr, ip_port);

that changes ip_addr and ip_port, not checking for any errors. See
lookup_host() in tds/util.c for details.

In my case, I just placed my interfaces file into /etc/freetds/ and it
immediately solved all problems.

Hope it helps,
Dmitry