freetds - Re: memory leak(s)?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Geoff Winkless" <geoff AT farmline.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: memory leak(s)?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:41:46 -0000

"John Rumpelein" <jmr AT jmrtech.com> wrote:
: A client of mine is using FreeTDS to connect to a SQL Server db for an
: event registration website. (We're using Apache/PHP). Under moderate
: to heavy load (7-10 concurrent users) we are seeing Apache processes
: grow to 100Mb and bigger. This of course runs the machine right into
: swap and it bogs down. Has anyone else seen this?

I've been running four dblib processes (which communicate via sysV ipc with
our mailserver to provide authentication) since before the beginning of the
year and they haven't grown a byte since they were first started.

Having said that, while they are each probably running about 10 sql
statements per second they rarely have to reconnect (only when the server
goes down) so it may be something in the connection code which is leaking
memory... might be worth writing some code which repeatedly creates and
destroys connections using whatever access method php uses (ctlib??)

If that doesn't reproduce your problem I'd tend to point to php.

Geoff