freetds - freetds.conf?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'TDS Development Group'" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: freetds.conf?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 14:10:43 -0500

Title: freetds.conf?

Brian,

Rather than a freetds.conf file, might it be simpler to extend the interfaces file?  I think it can have pretty much anything in it; the libraries probably look for what they need and skip the rest.  I think the run-time parameters are easier to manage if they're all in one place.

My suggestion, FWIW: have a psuedo-server entry to hold FreeTDS defaults, and a line for each server that can override them.  Finding a "plain" interfaces file would cause FreeTDS to revert to compile-time defaults.

Notional example:

_FREETDS_       # global defaults
        opt1 opt2 opt3 opt4 etc.

myserver
        query tcp ether 127.0.0.1 4000
        master tcp ether 127.0.0.1 4000
         TDS    opt1 opt2 opt3 opt4     #server-specific options

This way, when you add a server you can set the TDS options at the same time.  Ditto when you upgrade one.

I know the psuedo-server entry will work, because "_FREETDS_" would represent a never-used server name to the library.  FreeTDS might not be ready for a per-server line right now (I don't know how FreeTDS reacts to two simultaneous clients setting different TDSVER values for two different connections), but it's a logical need.

I think extending the interfaces file in this way is very unlikely to interfere with anything Sybase will do.

Not that I'm writing the code, of course....

--jkl