freetds - PHP/tds issue

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Kimsal <michael AT tapinternet.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: PHP/tds issue
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:51:12 -0400

Hello all. :)

I'm having a devil of a time tracking this one down - I hope someone has
some knowledge here that can fix this.

Situation:
We've been developing a web app for a couple months. We're using PHP4
with the latest freetds and MSSQL7 (sp1). Things were pretty fine up until
about a
week ago. *something's* changed, but I don't know what. We are
now *often* having a page come back 'document contained no data' or the
IE equivalent. By often I mean perhaps every 50 requests or so. This NEVER
used to
happen - we wouldn't have pressed forward with this if it did.

Original development box:
Caldera 2.4 (kernel 2.2.14)
MSSQL7
FreeTDS CVS - August 17 snapshot and one from June were both used
at various times.
PHP - either the snapshots after the 4.0.1pl2 release or the current
4.0.2

Current box
RedHat 6.2 (kernel 2.2.14 also I believe with SMP - 2 processors)
MSSQL7 (again sp1)
FreeTDS CVS - August 17 snapshot and one from June were both used
at various times.
PHP - either the snapshots after the 4.0.1pl2 release or the current
4.0.2

Both boxes also running Apache 1.3.12

Things worked fine on original box, and moved to final box (redhat) about 3
weeks ago.

Sometime last week, though, the RedHat box started flaking out -
queries simply HANG and die. I've dumped FreeTDS to a log, but it doesn't
seem
to tell me anything. There is no rhyme nor reason for this - hitting reload
will
normally do the querys again and the page is fine.

There is no error in the Apache error log - the access log shows the page as
getting called, but returning 0 bytes (or, more precisely, '-' bytes).

I've compiled freetds with
--enable-msdblib --with-tdsver=4.2
Also tried tdsver=7.0 with no better results.

Any troubleshooting information anyone can pass on?

I can send logfiles to anyone individually if you'd like - just didn't want
to clog up
the
list with big big mails.

Thanks in advance. :)