freetds - Re: Getting table information(error description)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "nadeem" <nadeem AT mp-integrators.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Getting table information(error description)
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 18:07:01 -0700

I think this problem can be solved because when I look at the source file
DatabaseMetadata.java included in the freetds_jdbc.zip it has the following
code where the driver fails:

/**
* Does a data definition statement within a transaction force the
* transaction to commit?
*
* @return true if so
* @exception SQLException if a database-access error occurs.
*/
public boolean dataDefinitionCausesTransactionCommit()
throws SQLException
{
NotImplemented(); return false;
}

I get partial metadata as shown below but because of the error the IDE's
(Powerj)
database wizard gives up.
All Procedures Are Callable: true
All Tables Are Selectable: false
Can't Get dataDefinitionCausesTransactionCommit: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Does Max Row Size Include Blobs: false
Catalog Separator: .
Catalog Term: database
Database Product Name: SQL Server
Can't Get getDatabaseProductVersion: java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
Default Transaction Isolation: 2
Driver Major Version: 0
Driver Minor Version: 2
Driver Name: InternetCDS Type 4 JDBC driver for MS
SQLServer
Driver Version: 0.2
Extra Name Characters: #$
Identifier Quote String: "
Max Binary Literal Length: 131072
Can't Get getCatalogNameLength: java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
Max Char Literal Length: 131072
Max Column Name Length: 30
Max Columns In Group By: 16
Max Columns In Index: 16
Max Columns In Order By: 16
Max Columns In Select: 4000
Max Columns In Table: 250
Max Connections: 32767
Max Cursor Name Length: 30
Max Index Length: 900
Max Procedure Name Length: 36
Max Row Size: 1962
Can't Get getMaxSchemaNameLength: java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
Max Statement Length: 131072
Can't Get getMaxStatements: java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
Max Table Name Length: 30
Max Tables In Select: 16
Max User Name Length: 30
Numeric Functions:
ABS,ACOS,ASIN,ATAN,ATN2,CEILING,COS,COT,DEGREES,EXP,FLOOR,LOG,LOG10,PI,POWER
,RADIANS,RAND,ROUND,SIGN,SIN,SQRT,TAN
Procedure Term: stored procedure
Can't Get getSQLKeywords: java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
Schema Term: owner
Search String Escape: \
String Functions:
LTRIM,SOUNDEX,ASCII,PATINDEX,SPACE,CHAR,REPLICATE,STR,CHARINDEX,REVERSE,STUF
F,DIFFERENCE,RIGHT,SUBSTRING,LOWER,RTRIM,UPPER
System Functions:
COALESCE,COL_LENGTH,COL_NAME,DATALENGTH,DB_ID,DB_NAME,GETANSINULL,HOST_ID,HO
ST_NAME,IDENT_INCR,IDENT_SEED,INDEX_COL,ISNULL,NULLIF,OBJECT_ID,OBJECT_NAME,
STATS_DATE,SUSER_ID,SUSER_NAME,USER_ID,USER_NAME
Time Date Functions: GETDATE,DATEPART,DATENAME,DATEDIFF,DATEADD
User Name: dbo
Catalog At Start: true
Can't Get isReadOnly: java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
Null + Non Null Is Null: false
Nulls Are Sorted At End: false
Nulls Are Sorted At Start: true
Nulls Are Sorted High: false
Nulls Are Sorted Low: false
Can't Get storesLowerCaseIdentifers: java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
Can't Get storesLowerCaseQuotedIdentifers: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Can't Get storesMixedCaseIdentifers: java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
Can't Get storesMixedCaseIdentifers: java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
Can't Get storesUpperCaseIdentifers: java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
Can't Get storesUpperCaseIdentifers: java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
Can't Get supportsANSI92EntryLevelSQL: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Can't Get supportsANSI92FullSQL: java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
Can't Get supportsANSI92IntermediateSQL: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Supports Alter Table With Add Column: true
Supports Alter Table With Drop Column: false
Can't Get supportsCatalogsInDataManipulation: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Can't Get supportsCatalogsInIndexDefinitions: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Can't Get supportsCatalogsInPrivilegeDefinitions: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Can't Get supportsCatalogsInProcedureCalls: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Can't Get supportsCatalogsInTableDefinitions: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Supports Catalogs In Column Aliasing: true
Supports Convert: true
Can't Get supportsCoreSQLGrammar: java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
Can't Get supportsCorrelatedSubqueries: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Can't Get supportsDataDefinitionAndDataManipulationTransactions:
java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
Can't Get supportsDataManipulationTransactionsOnly: java.sql.SQLException:
Not implemented
Can't Get supportsDifferentTableCorrelationNames: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Can't Get supportsExpressionsInOrderBy: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Can't Get supportsExtendedSQLGrammar: java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
Supports Full Outer Joins: true
Supports Group By: true
Supports Group By Beyond Select: true
Supports Group By Unrelated: true
Can't Get supportsIntegrityEnhancementFacility: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Supports Like Escape Clause: true
Supports Limited Outer Joins: true
Can't Get supportsMinimumSQLGrammar: java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
Can't Get supportsMixedCaseIdentifiers: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Can't Get supportsMixedCaseQuotedIdentifiers: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Supports Multiple Result Sets: true
Supports Multiple Transactions: true
Supports Non-Nullable Columns: true
Can't Get supportsOpenCursorsAcrossCommit: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Can't Get supportsOpenCursorsAcrossRollback: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Can't Get supportsOpenStatementsAcrossCommit: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Can't Get supportsOpenStatementsAcrossRollback: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Supports Order By Unrelated: true
Supports Outer Joins: true
Supports Positioned Delete: false
Supports Positioned Update: false
Can't Get supportsSchemasInDataManipulation: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Can't Get supportsSchemasInIndexDefinitions: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Can't Get supportsSchemasInPrivilegeDefinitions: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Can't Get supportsSchemasInProcedureCalls: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Can't Get supportsSchemasInPrivilegeDefinitions: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Can't Get supportsSelectForUpdate: java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
Can't Get supportsStoredProcedures: java.sql.SQLException: Not implemented
Supports Subqueries In Comparisons: true
Supports Subqueries In Exists: true
Supports Subqueries In Ins: true
Can't Get supportsSubqueriesInQuantifieds: java.sql.SQLException: Not
implemented
Supports Table Correlation Names: true
Supports Transactions: true
Supports Union: true
Supports Union All: true
Uses Local File Per Table: false
Uses Local Files: false

As you can see, most functions work and the only ones I need are the basic
ones which return a list of tables and their columns.
I would fix this but I am not working in the Unix environment and cannot
change the source code and recompile. Someone who has that capability will
have to fix this.
Nadeem