freetds - Re: Packaging FreeTDS for Debian

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Andreas Tille <tillea AT rki.de>
  • To: FreeTDS mailing liste <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Packaging FreeTDS for Debian
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 13:45:10 +0100 (CET)

Sorry, also this mail was delayed due to problems in my mailing system for
one week.

On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Brian Bruns wrote:

> > I think it should *definitely* be /etc/freetds/interfaces, not
> > /etc/interfaces.
> >
> > There are other files that will ultimately have to live there, such
as
> > charset files and locale files.
> >
> Under FHS (as I understand it anyway) charset and locale file would
under
> /usr/share, my question is do client applications expect these files
> be certain places or is it just OpenClient that cares?
You are right. Charset and locale files have not to go to /etc
because they are sharable over different architectures.

> Do you have any examples of apps that look directly at things in
$SYBASE ?
> Manual builds (make install) will always be stored entirely under
> /usr/local/freetds/* but I'd like to allow package maintainers some
> flexibility to put things where they make sense for that distro. Sort
of
> like, if SYBASE is defined, expect there to be a freetds directory
with
> all the stuff under there, otherwise expect in it a compile time
defined
> location.
Flexibility is the main point!
I guess, the locale files are no problem because they depend from
the configuration of the gettext library.
But giving the possibility to choose the location via compile-time
options keeps you always on the right side.
By the way: Thinking about the name "interfaces" I wonder, if it
shouldn't be substituted by something which gives a hint on FreeTDS.
If you decide not to do this, I would recommend a comment in the
first line to which package the beast belongs and what it is
supposed to do.

Merry Christmas and a happy 1900^H^H^H^H2000

Andreas.