freetds - Re: Packaging FreeTDS for Debian

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT umcc.ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Packaging FreeTDS for Debian
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:11:57 -0500 (EST)

[This thread is getting long, so I trimmed extensively]
On Wed, 22 Dec 1999, Michael Peppler wrote:

> I think it should *definitely* be /etc/freetds/interfaces, not
> /etc/interfaces.
>
> There are other files that will ultimately have to live there, such as
> charset files and locale files.

Under FHS (as I understand it anyway) charset and locale file would under
/usr/share, my question is do client applications expect these files to
be certain places or is it just OpenClient that cares?

Keeping compatibility with OpenClient is #1 on my list, but I'd like to
play nice with how the distros do things as well.

Do you have any examples of apps that look directly at things in $SYBASE ?
Manual builds (make install) will always be stored entirely under
/usr/local/freetds/* but I'd like to allow package maintainers some
flexibility to put things where they make sense for that distro. Sort of
like, if SYBASE is defined, expect there to be a freetds directory with
all the stuff under there, otherwise expect in it a compile time defined
location.