freetds - Re: DBD::FreeTDS

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler AT peppler.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: DBD::FreeTDS
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 15:12:58 -0800 (PST)

Adrian Blakey writes:
> Firstly, FreeTDS is a godsend -- thank you.
>
> I am testing TDS .5 on RH Linux against a MS SS Ver 7.0.
>
> I got and tried to make DBD::FreeTDS 0.02, but it does not seem to be
> maintained judging from the compile errors.

You are correct. I actually think that it should be removed from
CPAN.

> So I have been testing with DBD::Sybase, built using the FreeTDS libs.
>
> Things mostly work, however error handling and reporting is not up to the
> same level as if DBD::Sybase were linked with the Sybase libs.

I'd love to get some specifics on this.

> So I wonder if there would be any point in forking the DBD::Sybase codeline
> and doing a better job of providing a DBD::FreeTDS?

I'm not convinced that DBD::Sybase can't be made to behave correctly
with both implementations, but I'm open to suggestions. In any case
the DBD::Sybase code isn't all that complicated :-)

> This makes me wonder about about impedance matches between the libs,
> protocol and server.
>
> Sybase considers ctLib its annointed interface to TDS 5.0 and Adaptive
> Server Enterprise. And they probably do not want to help out MS by
> extending
> ctLib.
>
> Microsoft has no ctLib implementation and is interested in furthering dbLib
> as the interface to TDS 7.0 and Sql Server.

Doesn't Microsoft push ODBC over DBlibrary?

> FreeTDS exports TDS 7.0 functionality through the reimplemented FreeTDS
> ctLib -- there is no dblib (rightly so). Therefore, are there ctLib
> functions which either behave differently or not at all when directed at a
> MS database? So will it be necessary to implement some ctLib functions that
> are not part of the Sybase "standard" library to support MS?

I guess Brian and/or others who are using the TDS 7 stuff will have to
step in here...

Michael
--
Michael Peppler -||- Data Migrations Inc.
mpeppler AT peppler.org -||- http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler