freetds - Re: Errors getting FreeTDS-based Perl modules to work

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Mark Schaal <mark AT champ.tstonramp.com>
  • To: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Errors getting FreeTDS-based Perl modules to work
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 10:43:52 -0700 (PDT)

Try DBD-Sybase.

DBD-FreeTDS contains a completely separate implementation of TDS and
doesn't use the FreeTDS library. (It's also not currently being
maintained.)

The freeTDS ODBC support is pretty much worthless at this point.
Someone (John Pounder?) is working on a good version which will be
included at some point.

I'm not familiar with why DBD-SybPerl doesn't work, but I believe
that module is primarily for backwards compatability with SybPerl.
DBD-Sybase is the modern replacement, and is a pretty nice little
package. Versions 0.19 and 0.20 are known to work with FreeTDS
within it's limitations.

Hope that helps,

Mark

> Hi,
>
> I've got FreeTDS compiled and the sample apps working (Solaris 2.6). Now
> I'm trying to compile any of the Perl modules (DBD-FreeTDS, DBD-SybPerl,
> DBD-ODBC) that might be able to use FreeTDS. All of them compile OK.
> However, for all of them, when I try to do 'make test', I get this error
> (or similar, depending on which one I'm trying to test):
>
> Can't load '....../FreeTDS.so' for module DBD::FreeTDS: ld.so.1:
> /usr/local/bin/perl: fatal: relocation error: file ..../FreeTDS.so: symbol
> __eprintf: referenced symbol not found at ...../DynaLoader.pm line 166.
>
> Basically it's not finding eprintf. But I find no reference to eprintf in
> any of the source code for either FreeTDS or any of the Perl modules.
>
> I've got the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and SYBASE environment variables set properly.
> I know they work because I am able to run the sample apps and get results
> back. I'm connecting to MS-SQL 6.5 and have compiled FreeTDS for TDS
> version 4.2.
>
> Anyone run into this problem before? I would appreciate any help I can
> get.
>
> Thanks!
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to freetds as: mark AT champ.tstonramp.com

Mark J. Schaal Phone: (909) 620-7724
TST On Ramp Fax: (909) 620-8174
System Administrator E-Mail: mark AT tstonramp.com