freetds - Re: Release 0.41 ...on Solaris(Sparc)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Craig Spannring <cts AT internetcds.com>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Release 0.41 ...on Solaris(Sparc)
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:01:35 -0800 (PST)

tetherow AT nol.org writes:

> I can't image how you could bring down a database with the wrong
> endian-ness (not saying it is the case, but that it just baffles me
> that someone could write a DB server that allows that kind of
> misbehaviour :)

<RANT>

Yes, I'm a bit baffled too about how easy it is to crash. I'm sure
there's some security exploits hidden in those crashes somewhere. I
came up with 2 or 3 ways to consistently crash SQLServer 6.5 (even
with the latest services packs) while writing the JDBC driver.

> It still bothers me that sybase/MS didn't use network
> byte order for sending stuff across the network anyway.

I guess that doesn't bother me as much as the fact that some data is
in network byte order and some data is not. :-(

</RANT>

Life is short. | Craig Spannring
Ski hard, Bike fast. | cts AT internetcds.com
Any sufficiently perverted technology is indistinguishable from Perl.