fingerlakespermaculture - Permaculture and Sociocracy Conference Oct 22 Online

  • From: Karryn O <karrynolson AT gmail.com>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Permaculture and Sociocracy Conference Oct 22 Online
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2020 08:44:46 -0400

Dear Friends,
Rhonda Baird, Senior Editor of Permaculture Magazine, shared this information with me, and I'm forwarding to this wider list because this Permaculture and Sociocracy conference offers important tools for effective and uplifting ways of working together within the permaculture community, and beyond. You may know one of the presenters, Laureen Golden, who is from our area.
Warm regards,
Karryn Olson

Rhonda wrote:
How do permaculture and sociocracy fit together? Here are a few, brief thoughts from my perspective.

Permaculture ethics include care of people, and our principles ask us to integrate, rather than segregate.

Sociocracy, or governance by those who associate together, uses a number of decision-making tools that draw out the best collaborative thoughts from everyone involved to solve the problem at hand.

Why is this important? Designs and groups are only as solid and long-lived as the agreements holding them together. Sociocracy is the best means I’ve encountered for making those agreements and empowering people involved in the project to effectively accomplish what the group sets out to do.

About the speakers: Les Moore (UK); Andreas Jonsson (Sweden); and Henny Frietas (Brazil) are members of the Permaculture Circle at Sociocracy for all. Les Moore and Sociocracy for All member, Laureen Golden (PDC 2008)  will offer an introduction to permaculture and sociocracy. Andreas Jonsson and Henny Frietas will share about how their work blends permaculture and sociocracy in their work (with a high school and with community and political organizing, respectively). John Schinnerer will share how sociocracy is used by the Permaculture Co-Lab, and John Buck will give a keynote.

John Buck has been working with organizations all over the world to help infuse principles of consent and transparency leading to increased equality, freedom and sustainability for people and communities associated with those organizations. He has led dozens of sociocracy implementation projects in varied organizations such as schools, universities, healthcare providers, software companies, materials manufacturers, professional organizations, and ecovillages. He is co-author, along with Sharon Villines, of the book "We the People, Consenting to a Deeper Democracy" (http://www.sociocracy.info/we-the-people/) as well as co-author, along with Jutta Eckstein, of the just published book "Company-wide Agility with Beyond Budgeting, Open Space, and Sociocracy." (https://leanpub.com/bossanova)

Learn more and register at this website:

Please do share this information further!

  • Permaculture and Sociocracy Conference Oct 22 Online, Karryn O, 09/30/2020