fingerlakespermaculture - Fwd: [village-residents] Internship: contemplative organic farming

  • From: Karryn Olson-Ramanujan <kolson AT ecovillage.ithaca.ny.us>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Fwd: [village-residents] Internship: contemplative organic farming
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 08:52:18 -0500

Title: Karme Choling Newsletter
This sounds fantastic for anyone interested in the intersection of spirit and Earth!

Subject: 2014 Garden Apprenticeship Program
Date: December 5, 2013 at 6:41:31 PM EST

2014 Garden Apprenticeship Program

Mid-April - Mid-October 2014

Karme Choling Garden ApprenticeshipWe are pleased to announce the 2014 Garden Apprenticeship Program led by Master Gardener, Jan Enthoven.  Entering it's second year, this is a unique 6-month residential program in which participants gain both theoretical and practical hands-on training in organic gardening principles while participating in mindfulness-awareness based meditation practices.  This is a wonderful opportunity for an aspiring gardner to learn to manage an organic farm within the context of a contemplative community.

The program will follow the rhythm of the season in terms of introducing topics and subject material as they arise, from seed sowing and propagation in the early spring to weed management and harvest in the summer to composting and preservation in the fall. Learning will occur both in the garden as well as in the ‘classroom’. The general direction of the teaching is towards independence, so that apprentices will be essentially running things by the time autumn comes around.

The deadline for applying is February 15, 2014.  For more details, please see our website.

TESTIMONIAL

Last years program was a great success.  So much so that Gary Vu, 2013 Garden Apprentice, will be returning as an Assistant Gardner for the 2014 growing season.  Here's what he had to say about the program.

Gary Vu, 2013 Garden ApprenticeBeing a garden apprentice at Karme Choling was the best 6 months I have ever given myself.  For me, tending the garden was a great way to cultivate patience and exertion. It taught me the value of applying my practice while working.  When I slow down I begin to see the activity and communication that naturally happens in the world, and then it becomes a rich learning experience.  One of the most satisfying things is having a close connection with food, whether seeing our fresh vegetables served in the Karme Choling kitchen, or having a CSA member tell me personally how much they enjoyed our harvest.

Working and learning with Master Gardener, Jan, was truly a privilege.  As a teacher, meditation instructor, and a friend, he continually inspired and engaged me by skillfully weaving together gardening, dharma, poetry, and personal experience.  His wisdom and gentleness really made the whole experience seamless and utterly delightful.

I also got to experience the beauty and magic of the Shambhala world.  I am so grateful for the teachers, the teachings, and the community at Karme Choling for they continue to expand my heart and show me that a society based on kindness, bravery, and play is possible.

For anyone interested in learning about organic gardening and the Shambhala community, I highly recommend taking the leap.  It is truly a rich and unique experience of exploring how an enlightened society would look like, grounded in practice, work, and play.

Karmê Chöling · 369 Patneaude Lane · Barnet, Vermont 05821 · (802) 633-2384
To unsubscribe, click here.

  • Fwd: [village-residents] Internship: contemplative organic farming, Karryn Olson-Ramanujan, 12/06/2013