fingerlakespermaculture - New Professional Development Offering: Take Root! A Training for Garden Educators

  • From: Liz Falk <erf59 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org, HORT-L <HORT-L AT list.cornell.edu>
  • Subject: New Professional Development Offering: Take Root! A Training for Garden Educators
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2012 13:19:28 -0500

Greetings Educators,

Cornell Garden-Based Learning (CGBL) is pleased to announce a new professional development approach called Take Root! A Training for Garden Educators. We are looking for partners in New York State to host and facilitate these trainings with us. Partners may include Cornell Cooperative Extension (CCE) County offices and non-profits or community organizations that are interested in garden-based learning program development or expansion.

In 2012 CGBL would like to hold at least eight trainings in groups of counties across the state. By partnering with a local organization that has a strong knowledge base of local programs and community needs, we can broaden the reach of marketing this opportunity and we can offer a workshop most suited to the needs of the attendees.

Take Root! trainings are open to educators and youth workers from the region interested in, or already implementing, garden-based learning. Attendees from organizations and CCE offices are encouraged to bring along at least two other staff and/or volunteers. The objectives of these workshops are to:

  • Promote our garden-based learning resources with a positive youth development focus.
  • Bring together CCE and community educators to develop an ability to incorporate gardens into their scope of work, to make gardens projects successful and sustainable, and to facilitate more lead educators on these topics in each region.
  • Gather information about local projects to determine and demonstrate effectiveness, as well as better understand areas of improvement.
  • Foster community partnerships, coalition building, and linkages to other programs.
  • Grow significant youth and adult leadership in local food systems, “green,” and garden-based learning movements.

The partner organization is asked to:

  • Provide a workshop host site. (Most often this includes a large room to comfortably accommodate participants, however, when possible, access to an outdoor space for hands-on activities is encouraged).
  • Contact other educators in the region to determine the most pressing program development needs as they relate to garden-based learning, using Session 1-3 (below) as a guide.
  • Communicate needs to CGBL.
  • Carry out advertising and registration for event.
  • Food and beverage snack for participants.
  • Access to audio-visual equipment.
  • Summary of training feedback.
  • Assessment of future training needs.
  • Cover transportation costs for CGBL staff person (and lodging, if applicable).

What CGBL is offering:  Half- to full-day sessions including theory and skill building centered on garden-based learning principles and practices, and gardening techniques, from basics (Session 1) to more advanced (Session 3).  In some cases we can offer an extended workshop to cover multiple sessions and can be held over two-consecutive days.

CGBL will:

  • Organize and conduct a one-time workshop on most pressing topics as communicated from partner organization, with a follow up via webinar or in-person if possible. (Partner organization(s) are encouraged to assist with workshop instruction).
  • Provide tangible tools and techniques to ensure feasible implementation.
  • Provide a comprehensive picture, connecting gardens to all facets of programs, spend time exploring the linkages to current programs, and demonstrate how the garden can enhance any educational approach.
  • Provide case studies for inspiration.
  • Familiarize participants with CGBL on-line resources.

Proposed Training Topics (described generally to allow for expansion and specification to educators needs):

Session 1 – Plant a Seed, Inspire Interest. This is an introduction to garden-based learning; what is it, why is it important (researched based findings), and connecting gardens to all sectors of work. We will begin to develop a garden program that promotes positive youth development, opportunities for leadership and community & volunteer participation, and review tips on effective teaching methods. An in-depth overview of CGBL and other resources will be reviewed. Groups new to garden-based learning or groups struggling with community involvement and program structure will particularly benefit from this session.

Session 2 Tend the Garden. This session focuses on developing a more intentional, longer-term approach to garden-based programs, expanding existing programs deeper into a school or community, fostering a commitment to yearlong food systems.  Using a logic model as a tool, we will introduce methods to create project sustainability both in the garden and with the program itself, fundraising, building capacity and forming collaborations. Groups with an existing garden program hoping to expand and increase project sustainability are a good fit for this session.

Session 3 Building Capacity/Train-the-Trainer. This session digs deeper than session 2, with a focus on, for example: evaluation, more extensive information on program and garden sustainability, ecological design, increasing yields and season extension, and building leadership of involved participants, including youth apprentice programs, teaching effectively, and mentoring.  Groups are a fit for this session if they have an existing project underway, have already taken some steps towards enhanced sustainability but want to go further both programmatic ally and ecologically.

Other topics CGBL offers, for which an additional program fee will be required:

How to construct living sculpture such as sod furniture

The garden as a gateway to environmental awareness

Aquaponics

Intensive introductions to our curricula, such as Dig Art!, Discovering our Food System, and Seed to Salad

Visit http://blogs.cornell.edu/garden/takeroot/ for more information on Take Root! training topics, to be a partner organization and to view the schedule of trainings. Or feel free to contact me at efalk AT cornell.edu.

And, stay up to date as Take Root! trainings are scheduled by joining CGBL on Facebook and our subscribing to the CGBL Blog.

Look forward to working with you,

Liz Falk

---------
Liz Falk
Professional Development Educator
Cornell Garden-Based Learning

Department of Horticulture
Plant Science 48B
607.255.7351 (o)
http://www.gardening.cornell.edu/

  • New Professional Development Offering: Take Root! A Training for Garden Educators, Liz Falk, 01/23/2012