fingerlakespermaculture - Just a week left to the Food Justice Summit!

  • From: Michael Burns <michael AT fingerlakespermaculture.org>
  • To: fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Just a week left to the Food Justice Summit!
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 13:29:31 -0400

From: Trina Baxter <kirtrina AT gmail.com>

Oct 22nd GSCP will host Ithaca's first Food Justice Summit to mobilize locally for food sovereignty and raise funds to support food justice projects, specifically Ithaca Community Harvest and the work of GreenStar to create a system of regional food sustainability that promotes health, equity, and community control of essential resources.

It's not too late to join a team, or to register as an individual walker or form a new team!

If you haven't visited lately, take a moment to check out our website. You'll notice lots of exciting additions, like the beautiful pictures and summary of the projects GSCP is involved with! http://greenstarcommunityprojects.org/FJS/ This includes the Youth Farm Project and BJM Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Snack Program!!
And the route! (http://greenstarcommunityprojects.org/FJS/WalkerResources.html )

And organic, eco-friendly shirts (short and long sleeve) are now available for sale! (http://greenstarcommunityprojects.org/FJS/BuyAShirt.html )

Excitement within the community is growing to walk the route downtown to visit significant food justice attractions and end at a community celebration. We appreciate all of your support and positive energy.

We've got 7 days left to rally and reach our goals. Extra brownie points if you:

1. Register 10 people yet who each raise $150 in pledges

2. Table at GreenStar (sit, skip, trot around the foyer at the co-op to raise awareness about the event)

3. Sign up 5 volunteers to pitch-in on the day

4. Donate a product or service for the raffle/silent auction

5. Find a local business/organization with $100-$1,500 burning a hole in their budget and willing to sponsor the event

If anybody is involved with an education / activist / service organization or group and would like to table or provide an interactive activity you are encouraged to complete this brief online Registration Form or email info AT greenstarcommunityprojects.org or call 603-986-5091.

Tips to raise pledge funds quickly:

Day 1: Begin by putting in your own contribution of $10
Day 2: Ask two members of your family to sponsor you for $20 each

Day 3: Ask your employer to contribute $30 and ask about matching funds for employee contributions to your campaign

Day 4: Ask five friends to contribute $10 each

Day 5: Ask three co-workers to sponsor you for $10 each

Day 6: Ask four neighbors to contribute $10 each

Day 7: Marvel at how easily you just raised $200!

If you are a vendor with a product you're proud of and want to sell it at the event please let me know. If you would like to volunteer please email volunteer AT greenstarcommunityprojects.org
Thanks,

Kirtrina Baxter & Liz Karabanakis
GreenStar Community Projects

http://flxpermaculture.net

  • Just a week left to the Food Justice Summit!, Michael Burns, 10/15/2011