fingerlakespermaculture - using Osage Orange for living fences

  • From: Eric Banford <brew_bird AT yahoo.com>
  • To: NorthEast Permaculture <northeasternpermaculture AT lists.riseup.net>, fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: using Osage Orange for living fences
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 19:04:48 -0800 (PST)

We are in upstate NY near Ithaca, and are wondering if anyone has experience growing a living fence using Osage Orange. There was an article last Oct in Mother Earth News, it sounds feasible in our climate, so I wondered if any of you have tried one?

http://www.motherearthnews.com/modern-homesteading/living-fences-z10m0sto.aspx?

And does anyone know of any Osage Orange trees in the Finger Lakes region where we might get some fruit/seeds next year?

Thanks,
Eric