corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] relation between eschatology & word/flesh?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David Hindley" <dhindley AT compuserve.com>
  • To: "'Corpus-Paul'" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] relation between eschatology & word/flesh?
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 04:30:28 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: David Hindley [mailto:dhindley AT compuserve.com] On Behalf Of
dhindley AT compuserve.com
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2006 6:32 AM
To: 'Corpus-Paul'

Rachel,

Hayden White is quoted as endorsing Daniel Boyarin's book on Paul _A Radical
Jew: Paul and the Politics of Identity_ ...

"Boyarin weighs in with his usual eclat . . . reading the Epistles as if they
were contributions to contemporary debates over the
issues of feminism, multiculturalism, Zionism, identity politics, and
deconstruction, and reading these as if they were germane to
an understanding of the Epistles. The book is a tour de force of PoMo
criticism, and required reading for anyone interested in the
history of religion, Judaism, Christianity, Western culture, 'Orientalism,'
identity politics, feminism--and the list could go on."

http://www.ucpress.edu/books/pages/6414.html

That is, apparently, a publisher's blurb (and so may be out of context).
While I have not read Boyarin's book, it may at least touch
on your subject of interest.

White himself, I do not remember where, also briefly treats Paul for examples
of the mimesis effect.

I cannot think of any literary critic that deals exactly with what you are
after, but I am no expert.

Respectfully,

Dave Hindley
Cleveland, Ohio USA