corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Approaches to the question of divine-Christolog

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: JERRY SUMNEY <JSUMNEY AT LEXTHEO.EDU>
  • To: 'Corpus-Paul' <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Approaches to the question of divine-Christolog
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:14:58 -0400

Tony writes:
It seems that by nature these beings, "beggarly
elemental spirits", were not gods at all. If these
beings are not gods "by nature", would it not be
conversely true that for Paul there was therefore only
one God "by nature"?

Jerry responds:
I understand your reticience here. But given the various kinds of
evidence from many different kinds of sources (including faithful Jews in
different strands of Judaism) it would be odd indeed for Paul not to
recognize the existence of these powerful beings of another realm and in
some contexts recognize them as gods--even if they are only gods for others.
In Paul's polemic he certain wants to deny these beings the status of
'gods'. That is in line with what other Jews (including the prophets) do.
What Paul means when he says "by nature" in this polemic seems to be that
they do not properly deserve the classification of being divine. That is
Paul's judgment. They are not gods *For Paul* and now for other Christians.
To return to 1 Cor 8-10, Paul does think idol worship does involve communion
with other beings. This communion is both unfaithful to God and misguided,
but he thinks they are real and that it is possible to have a relationship
with them.

That may not be a god in the way you use the term. But I think it
is a god in the ways ancient people used the idea. I think you can also
find cross-cultural examples of beliefs in a god who created all and in gods
who run various aspects of the world. (I seem to remember an African
religion that holds a view like this.)

All the best,

Jerry

Jerry L. Sumney