corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Rom. 13 not about civil government

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Rom. 13 not about civil government
  • Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 03:13:42 -0700 (PDT)

Billy asked:

>I am very intrigued by Mark Nanos's take
>on Romans 13. Other than Nanos, are there
>any treatments of 13 arguing that Paul
>has something other than civil government
>in mind? And was Mark the first to
>suggest this?

I believe Mark is the first to have suggested anything
like this, but I don't know how many (if any) have
offered similar treatments since.

Though it's dated, Yoder's approach (in conjunction
with the more recent of Horsley/Silberman) remains
persuasive: that Rom 12 and 13, taken together, argue
that believers shouldn't adopt the methods of their
persecutors, since God works through the sufferings of
believers and will soon deal with Caesar himself
anyway (12:19-21; 13:4,11-12). I recall Mark
discussing Yoder in his book, though I don't have it
at hand now.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com