corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] You Are There! Films about Paul?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Robert Kraft <kraft AT ccat.sas.upenn.edu>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Robert Kraft <kraft AT ccat.sas.upenn.edu>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] You Are There! Films about Paul?
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:59:30 -0500 (EST)

> That reminds me of an old TV program that Walter Cronkite hosted on
> Sunday afternoon called "You are there." It would look at some famous
> occurence of many years ago by reenacting it. As Cronkite put it "All
> things are as they were then except you are there." Well, needless to
> say (but I will nevertheless) I don't know how they came up with the
> conversations if they were supposedly "as they were then." I can
> specifically recall one episode dealing with the death of Socrates. Of
> course, there was Plato to rely on though I think that was largely a work
> of Plato's imagination as well. On the other hand, maybe Cronkite and
> Martyn have crystal balls that function better than mine. Anyone know of
> a good crystal ball repair shop?
>
> george
> gfsomsel

Ah, young people. "You Are There" was a CBS Radio show long before TV got
involved. I recall listening to it while I cleaned my room (or whatever) as a
youth. See the listings on http://otrsite.com/logs/logy1002.htm -- from the
ancient world they had (I don't know who narrated):

"THE LAST DAY OF POMPEII" 08-25-47 August 26, 79AD
Repeated: 4-11-48
"THE ASSASSINATION OF JULIUS CAESAR" 02-15-48 March 15, 44 BC
Repeated: 4-24-49
"THE DEATH OF SOCRATES" 03-14-48 399 BC
"THE FALL OF TROY" 04-25-48 1184 BC Repeated: 10-24-48
Final episode under the name "CBS IS THERE"
"THE CONSPIRACY OF CATALINE" 54 12-12-48 December 5, 63BC
"THE RISE OF ALEXANDER THE GREAT: PEACE OFFER" 03-06-49 Sept 30, 331 BC
"THE RISE OF ALEXANDER THE GREAT: BATTLE FOR ASIA" 03-13-49 Oct 1, 331 BC
"THE RISE OF ALEXANDER THE GREAT: MUTINY IN INDIA" 03-20-49 Sept 8, 326 BC

"CAESAR CROSSES THE RUBICON" 06-12-49

Nothing on Jesus or Paul, which leads me to the pertinent list question: what
Paul films/VCR/DVD materials have listers found useful, if any? I've used the
very professional 1981 "Peter and Paul" (Anthony Hopkins and Robert Foxworth)
film (194 minutes, Universal City Studios), in part or entire, with good
results, but have been disappointed with some others such as "Paul the
Emissary"
(1998 TRN) or "The Story of Paul the Apostle" (2000 A&E TV).

I don't remember if this thread has surfaced before on this list, but if so,
just point me to the archives! My short term memory for such things doesn't
work
as well as recalling old radio shows.

Bob

kraft AT ccat.sas.upenn.edu