corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Schoolmaster, tutor or boy leader?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: tiona AT comcast.net
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Schoolmaster, tutor or boy leader?
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:24:18 +0000

Gal 3:24 is often quoted here, so I have a question.

Why is paidagōgos translated as schoolmaster or tutor in most translations when Strong and Thayer and every other greek dictionary I can find, list the first definition as "boy leader".  The boy leader's role and thereby goal was to get the children to school safely.  Once the children were mature, there was no longer a need for the boy leader to take them to school, but they were still expected to go there (by the best route).

So if the Law was the paidagōgos (boy leader) wasn't its role or goal therefore to get us to Christ?  And isn't that what Rom 10:4 is saying?  The Goal of the Law is Christ.

Jeffrey L Tiona