corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Galatians 2:16: Exploring the Relationship between Faith and Works

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Rabbi Saul" <tim AT rabbisaul.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Galatians 2:16: Exploring the Relationship between Faith and Works
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:25:19 -0600

Jerry wrote,
>Welcome to the list, John.  I think this is an interesting _expression_ in 2:16, though I'm not sure I would want to have it take up those categories that Paul did not work with at leasst as understood by the Reformers (and perhaps James). I have been wondering if it might not better be related to understanding the faithfulness of Christ as a fulfilling of the Torah.  Then the sense of the passage would be something such as this:  [we] know that no one is justified through the works of the Torah, unless it is through the faithfulness of Jesus Christ; and we have put our trust in Christ Jesus in order that we might be justified by his faithfulness...

>This just seemed an interesting possibility as I read the passage earlier in the week.

That's an intriguing possibility, particularly in view of 2.19:  "I *through the law* died to the law."  I take this to mean that through Torah's death sentence which was laid upon Christ, Paul was removed out from under Torah's covenantal bond.  Thus, correlating with your suggestion:  the only way in which Torah justifies is precisely through that sentence, which Christ faithfully bore.

tim

Tim Gallant
Pastor, Conrad Christian Reformed Church
Conrad, MT

Pauline studies:
http://www.rabbisaul.com

(406) 278-5846 / (406) 278-7809