corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Gal 2:4. Where did the 'false brothers' sneak in?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Gal 2:4. Where did the 'false brothers' sneak in?
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 23:29:43 -0500

Richard,
This is a much clearer post, although what you are arguing is hard for me to
grasp as likely. I will give it some thought, and get back to you when I
have had a chance to review the 1940-41 articles you mention.

In the meantime, the pages dealing with the identity of the influencers in
Galatia are too many to try to list, and all of chapters 5-10 are relevant,
discussing the prevailing views and proposing a new identity. There are only
a few pages directly discussing the "pseudo-brethren" in Jerusalem, 143-58,
under the topic of whether the Galatian influencers were oriented toward a
Jerusalem Christ-believing coalition (some of this material is covered in
recent and forthcoming essays on the Jerusalem meeting and Antioch incident,
and is part of the subject of my present project). But the specific point I
was making in the part to which you inquire for page numbers was the matter
of who the addressees were; see chps. 5 and 6 specifically for why they
would be different from those who are influencing them in the direction Paul
in this letter opposes (which seems a pretty logical separation of identity
to make apart from much argument anyway).

Regards,
Mark
--
Mark D. Nanos, Ph.D.