corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] RE: Active Jewish Pauline scholars

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] RE: Active Jewish Pauline scholars
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:14:11 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

Noel wrote:
>>Since Paul said "I myself am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, a member
>>of the tribe of Benjamin" (Rom 11:1) and that he was "circumcised on the
>>eighth day, a member of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a
>>Hebrew born of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee" (Phil 3:4), I would like
>>to draw up a list of active Jewish Pauline scholars, from all parts of the
>>world. Thus I would appreciate suggestions.<

It's interesting to me that Paul uses virtually every term in the book
here except for IOUDAIOS. Is this significant?

(Note: If I understand him right [and I usually don't], R. Eisenman, "Paul
as Herodian," JHC 3 (1996): 110-122, which can be found on-line at
http://www.depts.drew.edu/jhc/eisenman.html , proposes a non-Jewish
origin for Paul, but Eisenman does not interact with Rom 11:1 and Phil 3:4.)

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson,
mailto:scarlson AT mindspring.com