corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] RE: Active Jewish Pauline scholars

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] RE: Active Jewish Pauline scholars
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 17:39:41 -0600

on 3/1/04 1:14 PM, Stephen C. Carlson at scarlson AT mindspring.com wrote:
> It's interesting to me that Paul uses virtually every term in the book
> here except for IOUDAIOS. Is this significant?

Interesting, but I don't think it implies that he is or was not a
Jew/Judean. See, for example, Gal 2:14, where Paul's argument depends upon
his identity, with Peter, explicitly as Ioudaioi by birth.

> (Note: If I understand him right [and I usually don't], R. Eisenman, "Paul
> as Herodian," JHC 3 (1996): 110-122, which can be found on-line at
> http://www.depts.drew.edu/jhc/eisenman.html , proposes a non-Jewish
> origin for Paul, but Eisenman does not interact with Rom 11:1 and Phil 3:4.)

This is (perhaps a variation of) an argument made by another Jewish
interpreter of Paul, Hyam Maccoby, The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of
Christianity. It is a direction very different from that taken in my own
work.

Regards,
Mark
--