corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] EN PASAIS TAIS EKKLHSIAIS as a "cognitive frame"

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: CS Bartholomew <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] EN PASAIS TAIS EKKLHSIAIS as a "cognitive frame"
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 22:20:22 -0800

1COR. 14:27 EITE GLWSSHi TIS LALEI, KATA DUO H TO PLEISTON TREIS KAI ANA
MEROS, KAI hEIS DIERMHNEUETW:

1COR. 14:33b-34
... hWS EN PASAIS TAIS EKKLHSIAIS TWN hAGIWN
hAI GUNAIKES EN TAIS EKKLHSIAIS SIGATWSAN: OU GAR EPITREPETAI AUTAIS LALEIN,
ALLA hUPOTASSESQWSAN, KAQWS KAI hO NOMOS LEGEI.

I was following a discussion in another place today where there was a
dispute about the referent of TIS in 1Cor14:27 and thinking about if for a
while it seemed like the solution was close at hand. If we take the phrase
hWS EN PASAIS TAIS EKKLHSIAIS TWN hAGIWN (1COR. 14:33b) as a Pauline
"cognitive frame" which structures to local discourse and if we take hAI
GUNAIKES EN TAIS EKKLHSIAIS SIGATWSAN: OU GAR EPITREPETAI AUTAIS LALEIN,
ALLA hUPOTASSESQWSAN, KAQWS KAI hO NOMOS LEGEI (1COR. 14:34) as a
constituent within this "cognitive frame" then the referent of TIS in
1Cor14:27 is constrained this constituent.

I am not terribly concerned about this dispute over referent of TIS in
1Cor14:27. But for several months now I have been exploring the semantic
methodology being employed by Reinier de Blois* and the Pauline expression
EN PASAIS TAIS EKKLHSIAIS jumped off the page as a ready made label for a
"cognitive frame" that might be quite useful for semantic analysis of
Pauline texts.

If this approach to things sounds foreign to anyone a good place to start is
Reinier de Blois' dissertation*.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew

*TOWARDS A NEW DICTIONARY OF BIBLICAL HEBREW BASED ON SEMANTIC DOMAINS
Reinier de Blois
United Bible Societies
Woerden (Utr.), The Netherlands

An Introduction to Cognitive Linguistics (Learning About Language)
Friedrich Ungerer , Hans-Jorg Schmid
1996

  • [Corpus-Paul] EN PASAIS TAIS EKKLHSIAIS as a "cognitive frame", CS Bartholomew, 01/18/2004