corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Gal 5:12

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Elli Elliott" <elli AT visi.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Gal 5:12
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 19:57:04 -0600

Graydon writes (and Greetings to all y'all in Chicago!),

> If Galatians were written to the Celts, North Galatians, as I argue (and
> others), there is not sufficient Jewish population to interpret 5:12 in
terms of
> Judaizers. What Elli describes would be much closer to the Celtic world.
And
> even the castration would make sense. See my Irish Jesus, Roman Jesus.

While on the surface the North Galatian hypothesis may seem most compatible
with my view of Galatians, it is hardly necessary (as I take pains to
demonstrate). Worship of the Mountain Mothers is fairly pervasive in
central Anatolia in general with or without Celts.

The advocates of circumcision (Can we heed Mark's recommendation to discard
the term "Judaizers"?) are certainly not absent from the picture, after all.
That's who Paul is smearing with the galli identification. They are there
promoting circumcision, whether they are themselves Jewish or gentile
promoters of circumcision as essential to Jewish identity.

You have other arguments for the North Galatia, don't you? I'll have to
take a look.

Elli